Minor in Jewish Studies (563)
Minors must complete six 3-credit courses (18 credits total) in Jewish Studies with a grade of C or better, as follows:
- Two required courses:
- Jewish History I: Ancient and Medieval (01:563:201) [Core Curriculum Course]
- Jewish History II: The Modern Experience (01:563:202) [Core Curriculum Course]
- 12 credits of elective courses. No more than two courses can be in elementary- and intermediate-level language.
No more than two courses may be double counted toward both the Jewish Studies major or minor and another major or minor.
Interdisciplinary Minor in Holocaust Studies (564)
Rutgers now offers an interdisciplinary minor in Holocaust Studies, with courses offered by the German, History, Jewish Studies, and Sociology departments.
The minor consists of six courses, as follows:
- Two required courses:
- History of the Holocaust (01:510:261 / 01:563:261) [Core Curriculum Course]
- Remembering the Holocaust (01:563:360/01:510:370:01) [Core Curriculum Course]
- Four additional courses in at least two different departments—currently including German, History, Jewish Studies, and Sociology—related to the Holocaust. Courses can include:
- A relevant three-credit independent study or internship (e.g., at the Museum of Jewish Heritage: A Living Memorial to the Holocaust in New York), with the approval of the faculty coordinator
- An honors seminar on a relevant topic
- A six-credit honors thesis on a relevant topic, with approval of the faculty coordinator
- One relevant transfer course may be counted toward the minor, pending approval of the faculty coordinator
For more information of the Holocaust Studies Minor, contact the faculty coordinator, Prof. Jeffrey Shandler:
Minor in Language and Culture of Ancient Israel (583)
Language and Culture of Ancient Israel minors must complete six 3-credit courses (18 credits total) from the courses listed below.
A student may not major in Jewish Studies and minor in the Language and Culture of Ancient Israel at the same time.
The following courses count toward the minor.
Jewish History I: Ancient and Medieval (01:563:201)
Dead Sea Scrolls (01:563:340)
Introduction to Biblical Hebrew I (01:563:141)
Introduction to Biblical Hebrew II (01:563:142)
Readings in Biblical Hebrew Prose (01:563:433)
Readings in Biblical Hebrew Poetry (01:563:434)
Introduction to Rabbinic Literature (01:563:437)
Women in the Bible (01:563:265)
Introduction to Aramaic (01:563:145)
Introduction to Semitic Languages (01:563:409)
The Bible in Aramaic (01:563:146)
Hieroglyphic Egyptian I (01:563:421)
Hieroglyphic Egyptian II (01:563:422)
Ancient Near Eastern Religions (01:563:324)