- The Redaction of Genesis (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1986) (reprinted, with a new Foreword, 2014) (temporarily out-of-print or out-of-stock, though Penn State University Press will reissue the book in the months ahead).
- Diglossia in Ancient Hebrew (American Oriental Series 72; New Haven: American Oriental Society, 1990).
- Linguistic Evidence for the Northern Origin of Selected Psalms (Society of Biblical Literature Monograph Series 43; Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1990).
- The Bible and the Ancient Near East, co-authored with Cyrus H. Gordon (New York: W. W. Norton, 1997). Limited preview available at Google Books
- Israelian Hebrew in the Book of Kings (Occasional Publications of the Department of Near Eastern Studies and the Program of Jewish Studies, Cornell University 5; Bethesda, MD: CDL Press, 2002).
- Solomon’s Vineyard: Literary and Linguistic Studies in the Song of Songs, co-authored with Scott B. Noegel (SBL Ancient Israel and Its Literature; Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009 / Leiden: Brill, 2009).
See book description
- How the Bible Is Written (Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson Publishers, 2019).