Paola Tartakoff (bio)
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
Muslims, Christians and Jews: Conflict and Coexistence (honors seminar)
Conversion, Circumcision and Ritual Murder in Medieval Europe, in preparation.
- “From Conversion to Ritual Murder: New Perspectives on Medieval Christian Views of Circumcision,” Medieval Encounters (2018), forthcoming.
- “Testing Boundaries: Jewish Conversion and Cultural Fluidity in Medieval Europe, 1200-1391,” Speculum 90 (July 2015), 728–62.
- “Conversion and Return to Judaism and the Charge of Jewish Proselytizing in Medieval Europe, 1150-1350,” in Contesting Conversion in the Medieval World, ed. Yaniv Fox and Yosef Schwartz (Farnam, UK: Ashgate Publishing), forthcoming.
- "Segregatory Legislation and Jewish Religious Influence on Christians in the Thirteenth Century,” in Medieval Minorities: Law and Multiconfessional Societies in the Middle Ages, ed. John Tolan, Capucine Nemo-Pekelman, Jerzy Mazur and Youna Masset, forthcoming.
- “Of Purity, Piety, and Plunder: Jewish Converts and Poverty in Medieval Europe,” in Converts and Conversion to and from Judaism, ed. Theodor Dunkelgrün and Pawel Maciejko (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, Jewish Culture and Contexts Series), forthcoming.
- “The Toledot Yeshu and the Jewish-Christian Controversy in the Medieval Crown of Aragon,” in Toledot Yeshu Reconsidered, ed. Peter Schaefer et al. (Berlin: Mohr Siebeck, 2011), 297-309.
- “Christian Kings and Jewish Conversion in the Medieval Crown of Aragon,” Journal of Medieval Iberian Studies 3 (2011): 27-39.
- “Jewish Women and Apostasy in the Medieval Crown of Aragon, c.1300-1391,” Jewish History 24.1 (2010), 7-32.
- Review of David Nirenberg, Neighboring Faiths. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism in the Middle Ages and Today (Chicago, 2014), in The Association for Jewish Studies Review 40 (2016).
- Review of James Amelang, Parallel Histories: Muslims and Jews in Inquisitorial Spain (Louisiana State, 2013), in The Association for Jewish Studies Review 38 (2014): 463-66.
- Review of Jonathan Ray, ed., The Jew in Medieval Iberia 1100-1500 (Boston, 2012), in The Medieval Review, September 2012.
- Review of Robin Vose, Dominicans, Muslims, and Jews in the Medieval Crown of Aragon (Cambridge, 2009), in Sefarad 70 (2010): 512-14.
- Review of Nina Caputo, Nahmanides in Medieval Catalonia: History, Community, and Messianism (Notre Dame, IN, 2008), in The Medieval Review, August 2008.
- Israel Institute for Advanced Studies in Jerusalem
- EURIAS Fellowship
- Presidential Fellowship for Teaching Excellence, Rutgers University
- Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies at the University of Pennsylvania Fellowship
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship
- Fulbright Scholarship to Spain
- Richard Hofstadter Fellowship
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship in Humanistic Studies
- American Historical Association
- Association for Jewish Studies
- Medieval Academy of America
- Mediterranean Seminar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Society of Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies