Gary A. Rendsburg
Gary A. Rendsburg (bio)
Blanche and Irving Laurie Chair in Jewish History
CURRICULUM VITAE (pdf)
- The literature of the Bible
- The history of ancient Israel
- The historical development of the Hebrew language
- The relationship between ancient Egypt and ancient Israel
A BRIEF VIDEO ABOUT MY WORK
- Introduction to the Bible
- Introduction to Ancient Judaism
- Jewish Society and Culture I
- Women in the Bible
- Readings in Biblical Hebrew Prose
- Readings in Biblical Hebrew Poetry
- The Dead Sea Scrolls
- The Redaction of Genesis (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1986) (reprinted, with a new Foreword, 2014).
- Diglossia in Ancient Hebrew (American Oriental Series 72; New Haven: American Oriental Society, 1990).
- Linguistic Evidence for the Northern Origin of Selected Psalms (Society of Biblical Literature Monograph Series 43; Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1990).
- The Bible and the Ancient Near East, co-authored with Cyrus H. Gordon (New York: W. W. Norton, 1997).
- Israelian Hebrew in the Book of Kings (Occasional Publications of the Department of Near Eastern Studies and the Program of Jewish Studies, Cornell University 5; Bethesda, MD: CDL Press, 2002).
- Solomon’s Vineyard: Literary and Linguistic Studies in the Song of Songs, co-authored with Scott B. Noegel (SBL Ancient Israel and Its Literature; Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009 / Leiden: Brill, 2009).
See book description
- Co-Editor, The Bible World: Essays in Honor of Cyrus H. Gordon (New York: Ktav, 1980).
- Co-Editor, Eblaitica: Essays on the Ebla Archives and Eblaite Language, Vol. 1 (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1987).
- Co-Editor, Eblaitica: Essays on the Ebla Archives and Eblaite Language, Vol. 2 (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1990).
- Co-Editor, Eblaitica: Essays on the Ebla Archives and Eblaite Language, Vol. 3 (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1992).
- Co-Editor, Eblaitica: Essays on the Ebla Archives and Eblaite Language, Vol. 4 (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2002).
- Associate Editor, Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, 4 vols. (Leiden: Brill, 2013): http://www.brill.com/encyclopedia-hebrew-language-and-linguistics
THE BOOK OF BEN SIRA
- "Unlikely Heroes: Women as Israel," delivered at Brigham Young University, March 7, 2007
- "Light from Egypt on the Exodus Story," delivered at Brigham Young University, March 8, 2007
- "Dead Sea Scrolls at 60, Part One,"
delivered at the Highland Park Conservative Temple (Highland Park, NJ), March 4, 2009
(both audio download and pdf file of the images presented are available)
- "Dead Sea Scrolls at 60, Part Two,"
delivered at the Highland Park Conservative Temple (Highland Park, NJ), March 11, 2009
(both audio download and pdf file of the handout are available)
- "Moses the Magician," delivered at the conference "Out of Egypt: Israel's Exodus between Text and Memory, History and Imagination," University of California - San Diego, June 3, 2013 - Click on "Myth and Memory" -- see the third lecture there, with links for the video, handout and the images
Friends of ASOR Podcast: Gary Rendsburg, “Best of Times, Worst of Times”
posted April 25, 2014
Listen to ASOR’s own Ancient Near East Today editor, Alex Joffe, talk with Prof. Gary Rendsburg (Rutgers University), about the state of biblical archaeology and the study of the humanities.
LINKS TO ONLINE ARTICLES
- Leqet Israel (Parashat Shemini): "The Vegetarian Ideal in the Bible"
- Down with History, Up with Reading: The Current State of Biblical Studies
- Confused Language as a Deliberate Literary Device in Biblical Hebrew Narrative
- Cyrus H. Gordon, the First American-Born, American-Trained Jewish Bible Scholar to Accede to a University Position
- Genesis of the Bible
- Biblical Literature as Politics: The Case of Genesis
JEWISH STUDIES ONLINE
I invite you to register for the course, which is free, by following this link. I hope that you find the course to be informative and enlightening, and I encourage you to participate with other course registrants via the discussion board that accompanies the program.
THE GREAT COURSES
Both courses consist of a series of 24 lectures, and are available in either video (DVD) or audio (CD or download) format.
The Great Courses: Book of Genesis
The Great Courses: Dead Sea Scrolls